Re: Track changes?

Subject: Re: Track changes?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:31:50 -0700

Jean Hollis Weber wrote:

I must try it again with the newly-released OOo version 1.1, which has improved MSOffice-OOo compatibility immensely, but I doubt all the incompatibilities have been resolved.

They haven't. While I'm a dedicated OOo user (and, incidentally, very glad to see some names from this list on the OOo lists), I still wouldn't suggest that anyone take up OOo with the expectation that they can switch back and forth between it and MS Office without problems. I think you could design a document that would survive the experience, using simple bullets and the plainest of tables, for example, but I haven't gone too far with figuring all the quirks, because export to MS Word is not very important to me.

I personally doubt that there will ever be a perfect MS Office filter in any office suite. The fact that the specs are closed and keep changing, as well as the fact that making the filter is exacting and unglamorous work makes it very unlikely.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"I'll be riding stolen horses when you don't see me no more
I'll be riding stolen horses on some distant shore."
- Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Stolen Horses"

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com