Re: India - Wave of the Future?

Subject: Re: India - Wave of the Future?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:42:48 -0400

Here's an interesting data point regarding India. A strategic partner (a large company you've heard of) is working with us to port our software to a different platform. Note that this is a working product that is fully documented. They decided to use their facility in India to do the coding work. Their developers in India were having a hard slog of it, because the application is not your basic e-commerce Web site but rather deals with a variety of business processes this group is unfamiliar with. Documentation or no documentation, they just didn't get it.

So who did we ship over for a month to get them moving in the right direction? The head of our documentation group, a techwhirler to the bone.

Goober Writer wrote:

I wouldn't say we're doomed to lose our jobs to India,
per se. There *will* be a continued move there though.
I'd say, look to see our jobs in the US continue to
evolve. I know that I, as a tech writer, am spending
less time writing and more time on project management
and internal projects to streamline processes with
other locations.

Don't fret; evolve.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]