Re: India - Wave of the Future?

Subject: Re: India - Wave of the Future?
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:04:15 -0500

Bill Moyers on PBS did his NOW show this weekend on jobs moving to India, and the fact that college education is becoming ridiculously expensive (and some say, only an opportunity for the wealthy) in America. Interestingly enough, software and documentation is moving to India for that simple reason, because people in India are better educated than Americans, and more of them are as well.

A lot of Americans have no idea why it would be a good thing to be multi-lingual. I'm learning kanji right now and it's difficult, but in order to continue to have a writing job I have to broaden my horizons, and not just with what I write, more degrees or more software savvy, I am only fluently bi-lingual and need to be more than that in order to continue to find work.

I don't necessarily believe that things like this are cyclical. Bush is trying to squash the middle class right out of existence.

--
Michele

"I've learned that sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand." Andy Rooney
www.krautgrrl.com

Goober Writer wrote:

Everything is cyclic, which is the nature of a global
market. Software, specifically, is going to be all
over the board, as it really doesn't matter where it's
developed. IMO, and from experience, India is becoming
quite the tech powerhouse. Their technological
infratructure is now just as robust as USA's, but cost
of living is still a lot cheaper.