RE: What's to like about like

Subject: RE: What's to like about like
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 19:00:31 -0600

Thanks for picking up on it, Julie. For a minute there, I thought everyone
took me seriously (should have added a disclaimer).

I didn't have a chance at that point to really say what I thought about the
article on CNN, so here goes:

When I first read "It's O.K. to like 'like'" article in the local newspaper,
I nearly spewed coffee over the paper. I write technical manuals for a
living, and the article gave me the impression that it might be suitable one
day (in the authors opinion) to use words in any meaning that is fashionable
at that time. In other words - go ahead and use 'like' as an adverb, verb,
gerund, or why not even a noun.

I had considered the possibility that Professor Muffy E.A. Siegel (referred
to in the CNN article) had not considered the ramifications of words such as
'like.' Unlike writing, speaking allows the needed emphasis for a word's
intended meaning. Perhaps that is why 'slang' never makes it from verbal to
written acceptance. Then again, slang is a form of rebellion, so putting it
into everyday writing would instantly kill it's use.

After reading the article a second time, I realized with horror that what
had been suggested, was embracement of common slang in order to relate, or
communicate, with younger generations. I encountered something similar a few
years ago, as standard practice, in an undergraduate English course. The
instructor (with a PhD, none the less) talked to everyone with a slight
valley-girl style. Presumably, it was to better communicate, comfort, or
relate, with the young students in the class. Amusingly, her written
expressions were perfect in form (hence my theory of her verbal manor).

Could this article on CNN, be all that is needed for company Exec's to
decide to start catering to whatever 'style-of-the-day' is out there? Does
this mean I will eventually be forced to add trendy instructions analogous
to: "Troubleshooting this equipment requires dudes with the following stoked
skills . like, kinda"?

Most companies would be scared to step out of place, by using 'generational'
words. Yet some companies already embrace the misinterpretation of words
such as: 'lite' and 'light' (interestingly, the same word) to imply 'light
in color', 'light in calories', or even 'light in content.' What's next .
'Like, no cholesterol.' Does this article justify the break-down of English
usage to the point that I'm able to write: "When checking for the location
of a gas leak - you will need a light!" (Match or flashlight, your choice).

I do not think industry needs any encouragement to somehow rationalizing to
themselves that it is acceptable to relate to selected generations with
'comfort' words for the masses. It is bad enough, that with innocent
intentions, we have many words that have different meanings. I do not think
society needs to be encouraged that it's somehow O.K to add more to the
list, like - like! It was unfortunate the article was biased. I would hazard
to guess this professor has quite a few peers with opposite opinions about
adding slang to the point that everything becomes vague and misleading, and
made worse by being peppered with words such as 'like.'

Maybe her efforts would best placed on reducing our overly long alphabet, to
that of the ancient Greeks (I know, a cheap shot on my part). Anyway, I am
probable preaching to the converted - If I am, sorry for the rant.
Otherwise, it would be interesting to hear other's thoughts on the article.

Bruce

Julie Brodeur wrote:

> Well, this is interesting, because in JB's spoof below, suppose the
> engineer really used "like" in all those instances. According to the CNN
> article's categorization of different usages, you'd have to stop and ask
> the engineer if "like 15 min" meant "in about 15 min" or if he was just
> using "like" as "um" instead, and he really meant in exactly 15 min. Or
> perhaps he used like because he wasn't sure, and you'd need to make him do
> some work to confirm the exact amount of time.
>

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, JB Foster wrote:
> > Hi Dana, like, I use 'like' all the time in my technical documents.
> --snip--
> > 2. If the pressure is, like, rising, but still under 2500 kpa,
> then look at
> > the gauge, after, like, 15 minutes.
> --snip--

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com