RE: What's to like about like

Subject: RE: What's to like about like
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 15:45:47 -0600

Hi Dana, like, I use 'like' all the time in my technical documents.

One recent, like, example, is a set of Instructions for, like, new employees
at a local plant:

1. At, like, 1 hour intervals - monitor and, like, record Gauge 120A's
pressure.
2. If the pressure is, like, rising, but still under 2500 kpa, then look at
the gauge, after, like, 15 minutes.
3. If the gauge pressure is over, like, 2500 kpa and still, like, rising -
Like you don't need to, like, go to step #4.
4. Like this manual is still going to do you any good. Like, stop reading,
and don't, like, run (evacuate).

Please don't, like, pick apart my writing. This is only, like, a rough
draft, like. ;-)

Like, just my .00002 cents.

Bruce
(for my employers, like, benefit, I won't include where I, like, work)

Dana Worley wrote:

> I thought some of you might enjoy the following article I came
> across while eating
> lunch and perusing the news sites (this is from CNN):
>
> "A Temple University linguist says there's a lot to like about
> "like," the crutch word of
> teenagers and the bane of language purists. Muffy E.A. Siegel,
> who has published a
> scholarly study of the word, says "like" is not mindless filler
> but can actually impart
> meaning."
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/books/09/05/offbeat.us.liking.like
.ap/index.html

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com