Re: Bombs in the Workplace

Subject: Re: Bombs in the Workplace
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 00:15:26 +0000

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:12:12 EDT, while chained to a desk in the scriptorium, Tuples -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

$I have been asked to write a short item about dealing with serious threats in $the workplace. I almost decided that I was unqualified, but then it hit me. I $had actual experience with this several years ago.

We had a bomb scare in the building where I work.

Someone smashed his way into the Crown Prosecutor's office several floors below us and took one of the senior prosecutors hostage. It appeared he might be carrying a bomb.

On our floor, management went from office to office and told us verbally to evacuate the building. Outside, the police instructed us to move at least a block from the building.

The city police tactical team was called in, and negotiators eventually talked the man into giving up.

It turned out the bomb was two empty coffee cans.

I will admit, we don't have any processes that would take a long time to restart if interrupted. However, under the circumstances, the safety of all people in the building was paramount. The building was evacuated and the appropriate authorities were called in to deal with the situation.

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer and SAS Programmer

Please respond to the group. My address is set to reject e-mail from senders not in my address book.

and more from the TECHWR-L Store. All proceeds support TECHWR-L. http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/store.aspx?storeid=techwhirl

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l