RE: News Flash: the US is not the only country in the world.

Subject: RE: News Flash: the US is not the only country in the world.
From: "Sean Brierley" <sbri -at- haestad -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:45:42 -0400

I missed the original post (I know Kim is quoting), so will refrain from
sweeping generalities about the original poster. However, mores than
pointing out that wages are not equal between India and the USA, the
following is racist:

> More than any nationality, Americans are guilty of a
> self-absorbed myopia
> that causes them to forget or ignore that they're not the
> only guests at this party.

Such a sweeping generalization is completely unfair and unfounded. You
can find nationalism everywhere, you can find a the feelings of ethnic
and national superiority in any country on the globe . . ..

America takes a lot of heat, and that's fine, we have a big profile.
Why, just the other day, in a friendly conversation, a European
(nationality withheld) was berating me about the U.S. refusal to sign
the Kyoto treaty . . . well, that persons own country also had not
signed it . . .. That is, perhaps folks should look to their own invalid
stereotypes and prejudices before they comment on America and Americans,
and what America should and should not be doing. In any event, such a
conclusion as the one above is outrageous disgusting--I only hope I am
remarking on a quote taken out of context.

Sean