Re: Context Sensitive Help

Subject: Re: Context Sensitive Help
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:08:50 -0600

On 28 May 2002 at 12:07, Suman Saha wrote:

> 1) How to start writing the help texts.

I don't know how to respond to this, other than, just start writing in
RH.

If you do not have a help authoring tool (HAT), you can use Word to
create RTF files. The compiler can be downloaded for free from the
internet, or it comes with all HATs.

> 2) How to test the help.

Unfortunately, one link at a time...

> 3) How to attach the help with the GUI(Java).

This depends partly on the code in which the application is written.
For instance, if the application is written in Delphi, you can assign
each component an "On F1" action to call help, passing the help
engine a number. An "HPJ" file is used to cross-reference the
numbers that the application passes to the help engine to the
Context Strings of the topics.

Don Lammer's has a lot of information on linking help with your aps
at:

http://www.smountain.com/m_ProgrammingHelp.htm

Dana Cline has useful information on linking WinHelp with VB aps
at:

http://www.logicsmith.com/articles.html

There is a yahoogroups list specifically related to help development
called "HATT". The archives are full of information...

Dana W.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l