Authorware newbie

Subject: Authorware newbie
From: "Hannah Bissell" <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:01:34 -0400

Hello All,

I've just been handed a CD that was made with Macromedia Authorware and told
"We want something like this except more." The CD is a virtual tour of an
online application where users must log in and enter information, others
users do the same, and the system integrates it all nice and smoothly with
less red tape. The tour has audio of a woman talking the viewer through the
system (lucky me - they're telling me they want my voice on one of these -
ugh!) It's supposed to be a combination marketing CD plus introductory
training tool (audience is civilian and military employees in the army). It
will be sent to Union reps instead of team members travelling to other
locations and giving personal demonstrations.

I am new to tech writing. I've done simple user manuals and test scenarios
for the most part. The application was created with Home Site (I don't know
if that makes a difference).

At the moment I'm not being asked to do anything but look into the
feasability of creating a CD for our applications and possibly a simple demo
to show our client. I'm sure there are dark corners I'm not seeing - and
won't until I get into this. I guess I'm wondering if I may potentially need
other software (for example, to capture screen shots, to create audio
files). Are there specific ones that work best with authorware? Ones that
really don't work well at all? I've downloaded the demo and have been
playing around with it a bit. I've even managed to create the first screen
and a couple of navigation buttons. I think I'm in a position where if I
tell them what else I need now it can happen but if I don't tell them now
I'll have very little chance of getting it in the future. I'm just beginning
to look into this and would appreciate any pointers from the list.

Thanks,

Hannah Bissell
to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net