OT: What it is, and WTC

Subject: OT: What it is, and WTC
From: "Hannah Bissell" <to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 01:01:21 -0400

OT: Off Topic

2 things are obvious to me. First, Eric and Deborah have sanctioned the list
(for the time being) to be a forum for people to express their grief etc on
list. Second, there are people on list who don't want to read it. Here's a
suggestion, if all those who have something to say include OT and WTC in the
subject line, those who don't want to read it can filter it out and those
who do can continue to do so without having to fight for the right to do so.

Personally, I've needed this. Not the discussion on right and wrong, just
the forum to write out my thoughts and confusion. I need to read other's
experiences. I need to know I'm not the only one with friends who were lucky
to only have their clothing burned from their body and live to tell me their
okay. I cam so close to losing so many people, one of which is my unborn
niece (my sister-in-law was close enough to feel the heat from the blast of
the second plane crash and she's 8 1/2 months pregnant). I need to say, wow,
I'm lucky and so thankful for that and yet so sad and distraught over all
that were lost: the 2 and 4 year olds on the planes, the countless heros who
rushed in to help, heros who made it through the first crash only to rush
back in to help those still stuck and perish in the second, so many, many
people.

A friend called saying he felt helpless. The blood banks tell him to wait a
couple days. The military tells him to wait for a recruiter to call him back
(he's trying to re-up now). His children don't understand and he can't find
the words to express the why. He told he me he decided to do something more
lasting. He vowed to teach his children to be proud of their country. To
stand up for what they believe in. To not stereotype people as these people
stereotyped us. And he's starting with refusing to stereotype the ones who
did this to us. He also will not succumb to grouping all people of similar
backrounds as guilty because they happen to share a religion, a country of
origin, or similar physical attributes. I keep hearing of all these people
retaliating against Arab-Americans. That saddens me because it is not right.
It is stooping to that level of inhumane action that brings people to think
it is an option to crash a plane into a building and kill thousands. I think
he has a good idea. Use our experiences to help make our children better
than we aspire to be.

hannah bissell
to -dot- hannah -at- usa -dot- net