RE: techies.com training and Java

Subject: RE: techies.com training and Java
From: "Richard Smith" <Richard -dot- Smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:01:32 -0700

Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java" is an excelent book for learning Java, and
is highly praised by many people. It is an a second edition now. Both are
available free online at www.bruceeckel.com , I think only the first version
is available in print although I'm not certain of that.

Java is enormous, and growing all the time. Don't expect that one book or
reference will suffice beyond the basics. You may need other references or
manuals to get up to speed on issues like servlets, jsp, jni, swing, etc.

Sun has tons of info on java.sun.com, I find thier tutorials useful, but a
bit hard to follow. They are heavily cross-referenced, and seem to require
so much clicking back and forth that I get lost. I bought a printed copy of
Sun's JFC-swing tutorial, and found it equally hard to follow--too much
jumping around, though still loaded with good info.

Also, you might grab a copy of one of the free Java IDEs. I think
VisualCafe, JBuilder, and Forte, all have limited free versions. Even if you
are not doing heavy coding, the IDEs can speed up navigating the code,
jumping to definitions, syntax highlighting, and so forth.

have fun...

Richard Smith