RE: Designing packaging matter??

Subject: RE: Designing packaging matter??
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:41:23 +1000

We just keep to the basics:

1) Product name: High-contrast font (relative to surrounding background) of
a good size that can be easily read at a distance, and provides a
distinctive look.

2) Background: In theme with the product purpose. Colour use is subject to
basic pyschology, and most red/yellow backgrounded stuff is cnn (cheap and
nasty), to the other end of very dark boxes trying to stand for incredibly
expensive or highly techno techno sweetie. We went for a darker background
for our US$199 high-end graphics package. White can be ok, but you can kill
the effect by overlaying too much stuff.

3) Prominent use of the company logo, at least 1.5" each side, on all sides
of box - INCLUDES TOP AND BOTTOM FLAPS TOO. Your logo is your most important
asset when boxing... and these days include web addy with that!

4) Leave a "boring space" on the corners for price tagging, or even include
a device near the top left to "contain" the tag.

5) Your blurbs will be from the marcom guys, or marcom them yourself. You
should include a marcom'd feature list and personified use cases. Include a
"new features" list (for the upgraders). If relevant, include screen shots
of the application at work on the back. If any trademarks of other companies
are used on the packaging you must include the std disclaimer on the same
page as the trademark in question.

6) Titles tend to be on the "1/3 division" lines for the "page".

7) Ensure the VERSION is prominently mentioned.

8) Folks even go so far, quite regular like, to have their own fonts custom
designed for their packaging. We have one for our next product <beams with
pride>.

9) if there is lotsa colour on the back pane, bulleting your lists with a
contrasting colour may be necc to help keep the readers eye in line.

Steve Hudson
Lead Technical Writer
Wright Technologies (Aus)
steve -at- www -dot- wright -dot- com -dot- au
(612) 9518-1822
The best way to predict the future... is to create it!