RE: transition from contract to full-time

Subject: RE: transition from contract to full-time
From: Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:14:29 -0500

>From John Gilger:

"If you are working as a contractor you should be paid your hourly/daily
plus expenses or per diem in lieu of expenses. Money received for expenses
or per diem is not included as income by the tax police."

I agree with the first part, but as to the second... Only true if you are a
W-2 employee (of an agency, say). If you are a self-employed contractor (my
case until my current situation), expenses and per diem *are* reported as
income on your 1099 and must be accounted for on your tax return. See your
tax advisor for details.

Al Miller
Chief Documentation Curmudgeon
Prometric, Inc.

Develop HTML-Based Help with Macromedia Dreamweaver 4 ($100 STC Discount)
**WEST COAST LOCATIONS** San Jose (Mar 1-2), San Francisco (Apr 16-17) or 800-646-9989.

Sponsored by ForeFront, Inc., maker of ForeHelp Help authoring tools
for print, WinHelp, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and cross-platform InterHelp
See for more information and free evaluation downloads

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: RE: questions about training doc and ISD
Next by Author: Re: burnout
Previous by Thread: Re: transition from contract to full-time
Next by Thread: RE: transition from contract to full-time

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads