RE: transition from contract to full-time

Subject: RE: transition from contract to full-time
From: "SHIELDS,SUSAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <susan_shields2 -at- hp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:35:42 -0700

It seems like this discussion has wandered away from the original topic and
I shouldn't add to the digression but I can't stand it any longer! Must
vent!

Michele Davis wrote:
>Unfortunately my husband has been part of several dot com wide-spread
layoffs, and
>since we're both pretty young we can't even begin to imagine what it was
like in
>Elna's time when people were laid off, evidently, left and right.

I suspect that "Elna's time" and my own probably coincide because I remember
the rolling layoffs quite clearly. I didn't realize that we were old enough
to be relegated to geezerdom, though. Did you, Elna? I guess I thought I'd
at least get to 40 before some young thing classified me as part of
pre-history.

>Since we're young though, we're also creative, and can come up with many
different
>ways to make money, just in case the whole technology market goes down the
toilet.

Gosh, does youth=creativity? Another thing I didn't know. Even old folks can
come up with ways to make a living in an unstable market, though...although
experience may be as important as creativity in that endeavor.

Okay. I think the crabby part is over. Back to the topic:

Some people like contracting, some people like being regular, full-time
employees. There are trade-offs and they depend on who you work for. I've
done both and I, personally, prefer being a regular employee because:

* the money is pretty good
* I have benefits (and they're pretty good)
* someone else worries about my taxes
* my schedule is flexible but stable

But that's just me. What's important to you? Realize that the answers will
probably change as you move through your life. And realize that the
contract/full-time decision isn't a one-time-only deal. You can move back
and forth between the two as it suits you and your situation.

Susan