RoboHelp 9.x and Office 97

Subject: RoboHelp 9.x and Office 97
From: "Shorr, Henry (JUS)" <hshorr -at- jus -dot- gov -dot- mb -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:35:20 -0600

I upgraded from RoboHelp 2000 to RoboHelp 9.0 and then 9.1. I have been
using Office 97 with both the Robohelp2000 and 9x products. I was very
pleased with RoboHelp 2000, and found that it helped boost my help
development productivity substantially over the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop
Version 1.1. Unfortunately I found the upgrades to be a disappointment in
two key respects.

* In version 9x text for hyperlink has to be typed first in WYSIWYG
mode, and has to be in normal format. In hyperlink dialogue box you can't
use letters to get to topic in the pick list for files for hyperlink (i.e.
typing c won't get you to c topics). Also you can't use file titles from
pick list for hyperlink. By contrast in ver. 2000 you didn't have to type
the text first, you could just use the title of the topic file selected in
the dialogue box and it would appear as the hyperlink. Having to type the
text for the hyperlink is a significant step backwards in terms of
efficiency. Multiply this by hundreds of hyperlinks and productivity is
reduced significantly.

* In RoboHelp 2000, the insert horizontal line feature inserted a line
all the way across the page (i.e. 100%). In RoboHelp 9.0 the line, which
is centered, only goes part of the way across (50%). It appears
this is a new default. This will be a problem if I want to change the width
to from 50% to 100% to all new lines in RoboHelp 9.0 so that all the lines
have a consistent look with the hundreds of topics I already created in
RoboHelp 2000.

I brought these issues to the attention to ehelp Corp. the makers of
RoboHelp in regards to ver. 9.0. Unfortunately they weren't corrected in
ver. 9.1

Henry Shorr
Program and Training Consultant
Manitoba Justice, Corrections
810-405 Broadway
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 3L6
204-945-7298
204-945-5537 Fax
hshorr -at- jus -dot- gov -dot- mb -dot- ca