Word Templates

Subject: Word Templates
From: Andy Mottershead <andy -dot- mottershead -at- widelearning -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:36:46 -0000

Hello list,

I hope this works, it's my first posting...

I'm working on Word (2000) templates. The templates are for specifications
such as business requirements, product definition and software requirements.
The look and feel will also be reflected in the user documentation. It is
envisaged that others within the company will use similar templates so all
company documents have a similar look & feel and style. That's the plan :-)

Although I have worked on templates before, the templates have been for my
own use or for use by a small group of authors. Many people, with varying
level of Word skills, may use these templates.

My question is should I make use of Word 'fields' for things such as
document title, document version, document status (as specified by the
document properties dialogue) - or should authors simply enter text in the
correct areas, e.g., authors will overtype '<enter product name here>'?

The fields approach has benefits - however, I experimented with this today.
I inserted a field (doc version) in the body of the text and also in the
footer - the field is not updated when I select all (Ctrl-A) and update(F9).

What are your thoughts? Am I doing something wrong within Word or have I
overlooked some obvious features?

You reply via the list or to either of the email addresses listed below.

Thank you for your time.

Andy Mottershead.
(UK).
andy -dot- mottershead -at- widelearning -dot- com
andy_mottershead -at- hotmail -dot- com