RE: Break into telecommuting

Subject: RE: Break into telecommuting
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:20:45 -0500

At 12:08 PM 1/30/2001 -0600, Ken Bowes wrote:

<Andrew wrote;

Telecommuting should be a reward for people who have repeatedly proven that
they have the self-motivation to get a job done on-time. In my experience
probably 1 in 20 employees falls into that category. >

I can understand this attitude if there were no benefit to the company. But
it really sticks in my craw when it is put in these terms.

I wouldn't get too stressed about it, because it really doesn't matter whether Andrew buys into telecommuting as a benefit to both parties, any more than it matters whether "industry trends" for telecommuting are supposedly up or down.

What matters is that all of us who telecommute regularly are defining the situation, mainly for ourselves but (long-term) for the industry as well. My current employer, as for past employers and clients, is very happy with the current arrangement, and if/when I leave here someday they'll attest to it to anyone who asks. I'm telecommuting now, and I'll telecommute in the future, regardless of the "trends." Success is its own reward.

With telecommuting, as with all aspects of technical writing, making your current gig work ensures that you'll get future gigs to your liking. Eventually, all of us who are comfortable telecommuting will have remote jobs and remote employees, and those of Andrew who aren't, won't.

Have fun,
----->Mike

Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp, producers of PDF 2001 Conference East, June 4-5, Baltimore/Washington D.C. area.