Re: Hardware Technical Writing and Photos

Subject: Re: Hardware Technical Writing and Photos
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:55:03 -0800

"Habegger, Nolan" wrote:

> If a company is using the illustrations in several areas (i.e., marketing
> slicks, user guides, tech manuals, etc.), it makes sense (IMHO) that a line
> drawing would be the way to go. The advent of GOOD digital cameras, however,
> makes this merely an opinion and not a definitive recommendation.

A useful technique: take the picture, scan it, then develop a line
drawing in another layer of a graphics program. It can be a little
awkward at first, but, once you are used it, the technique can be
much faster than drawing from scratch or trying to touch up a photo.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com
Director of Marketing and Communications, Progeny Linux Systems

"In Manhattan's desert twilight, in the death of afternoon,
We stepped hand in hand down Broadway like the first men on the
moon,
And the 'Blackbird' broke the silence as you whistled it so sweet,
And in Brendan Behan's footsteps, I danced up and down the street."
- The Pogues, "Thousands Are Sailing."