Re: Where is the ceiling in TW?

Subject: Re: Where is the ceiling in TW?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:46:49 -0800

Barb Einarsen wrote:

> Let me caution you on using another job offer to renegotiate your current
> position. Although this tactic often works in the short term, it will change
> the way you are viewed in the company, and your prospects there in the long
> term. You will be considered less reliable and loyal than your counterparts;
> even the ones that legitimately resign and are lured back under duress.

This is where diplomacy comes in. If you're crude enough to say,
"Match this offer or I'm gone," you'll cause resentment. But if you
approach your manager and say that you want to talk about your
prospects at the company, that you have another offer but would
really prefer to stay where you are, then you might succeed. By
pitching it that way, you put the burden of action on to the
company. Instead of prodding a reaction, you're letting your manager
choose whether to respond. Instead of making a demand,you're raising
an issue.

--
Bruce Byfield, Progeny Linux Systems
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set
And blew. 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.'"
-Robert Browning