RE: Where is the ceiling in TW?

Subject: RE: Where is the ceiling in TW?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:36:03 -0800

> Hypothetical situation: You are ...
> managing ... making $60-70K ...
> the company has reached its limit ...
> can't afford to give you any more than a standard cost of
> living raise ...
> A job search ... reveals that other companies are in the same boat...

I disagree with those who've said you can't get a substantial
(>10%) raise without changing jobs. I've done it. But it doesn't
happen often.

You say that a quick search in the surrounding area proves
your employers point; that you're making what others in your
area are making. In that case, changing jobs really won't
accomplish much. Others tell you to go into contracting.
That's not for everybody; I know it's not for me.

But, all that said, as a general rule, employers want to
keep their good people happy and giving raises is still
cheaper than hiring and training new people. Try talking
to your manager and to HR. Tell them you're not happy
with your occupational ceiling and ask them for help in
determining a career path within the company. Maybe you
could take training under your wing, maybe manage the
company's web site,... Give it a shot and see what
happens.

HTH!
Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
-- Douglas Adams
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy