Re: font size equivalence

Subject: Re: font size equivalence
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:18:45 -0500

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#guidelines

> 2.FONT tag considered harmful! Many filters from word-processing packages,
> and also some HTML authoring tools, generate HTML code which is completely
> contrary to the design goals of the language. What they do is to look at a
> document almost purely from the point of view of layout, and then mimic that
> layout in HTML by doing tricks with FONT, BR and &nbsp; (non-breaking spaces).
> HTML documents are supposed to be structured around items such as paragraphs,
> headings and lists. Yet some of these documents barely have a paragraph tag
> in sight!
>
> The problem comes when the content of pages needs to be updated, or given a
> new layout, or re-cast in XML (which is now to be the new mark-up language).
> With proper use of HTML, such operations are not difficult, but with a muddle
> of non-structural tags it's quite a different matter; maintenance tasks become
> impractical. To correct pages suffering from injudicious use of FONT, try the
> HTML Tidy program, which will do its best to put things right and generate
> better and more manageable HTML.

I think they understate the case.

There's a natural division between document structure, which the author must
handle, and display or printing options which often need to be under user
control:
user may have bad eyes, need bigger font
colourblind, needs different colours
wants prinout to fit his binders
wants display to fit his window
simple preference

I believe that it is a design deficiency if a general-purpose text-handling
system allows the author insert font settings anywhere except in a style
sheet, and an outright bug if it inserts them itself.