Re: Vanilla HTML editors (commercial), WYSIWYG and non?

Subject: Re: Vanilla HTML editors (commercial), WYSIWYG and non?
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:26:52 -0500

Deborah Snavely wrote:

> I need to identify some choices for (Windows 98/NT/2000) HTML editing
> software that: ...uses only HTML 3.2 vanilla tags

4.0 is the current standard.

> (Not anything from Microsoft!)

bravo!

> ...is easy for all those Word-dependent office folks to use or learn
> quickly
> ...is business-affordable and has quality documentation and support
>
> I need to propose one or more HTML-editing tools ...

On Windows, I use Wordpad. On Unix, vi. Not all users would be happy
with those, but it works for me. My output, after using htmldoc
(free from www.easysw.com) to add table of contents, is visible at:

http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.8/doc/intro.html

It is pretty close to your 'vanilla 3.2'. The restriction I have is
that since I'm documenting software that gets installed on firewalls
-- often limited systems with limited software -- everything I do must
be readable with the text-only Lynx browser. Not quite the same, but
close enough I'd suggest you consider Lynx as a test tool for your
HTML.

An alternative tool for you might be the World Wide Web Consortium 's
free browser/editor, Amaya.

http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

However, Amaya is designed mainly as a testbed for new web techniques.
Large parts of HTML 4 were in Amaya before they went into the standard,
so unless you can get an old version it may not fit your 3.2 wishes.