Re: Tips for IT Security Policy and Procedures Doc???

Subject: Re: Tips for IT Security Policy and Procedures Doc???
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:12:41 -0500

Robert Kennedy wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm beginning a manual (in RoboHelp) about
> corporate IT security policy and procedures
> (for a spinoff of a large media org in NYC)
> and since it's my "first time" I'm a bit anxious.
>
> Anyone have any tips they can offer or advice
> for resource information?

Read at least:
Schneier's "Secrets and Lies",
the Carlisle Adams and ..? book on public key infrastructure
the Cheswick and Bellovin book on firewalls.

All three give good overall perspective stuff.

Look around at www.sans.org (SANS = System Admin & Network Security).
They have links to lots of resources, and they offer courses and
certifications. Try to get your employer/client to pay for their
basic course. It will likely be useful, and the certification looks
good on a resume.

The standard web security reference is:
http://www.cerias.purdue.edu/coast/hotlist/

My list of security links: