Re: Aphorisms

Subject: Re: Aphorisms
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:10:32 -0500

David Orr wrote:

> I've always liked knowledge encapsulated in aphorisms because they are easy
> to remember.

Some favorites, which I have been known to quote in docs:

The cheapest and most reliable components are the ones you leave out.

Managing programers is like herding cats.

If carpenters built houses the way programmers build programs, then the
first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilisation.

attributed to Seymour Cray;
"Memory is like orgasm. You can fake it, but it's better if you don't have to."

Rob Pike (a Bell Labs Unix guru) , talking about X (the standard Window system
for Unix):
"Sometimes when you fill a vacuum, it still sucks."