Writing a staffing plan

Subject: Writing a staffing plan
From: Steven Schwarzman <StevenS -at- amdocs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:40:36 -0500

I am to write a staffing plan so that we'll be ready for some known upcoming

projects.

I've already estimated the work if we get each of these projects. I've also
estimated the probability that we'll win each. So I know the maximum number
of people I'll need, and also what I call the probable number - using the
estimate for each project times the probability that we'll get that project.

Two questions for you, friends:

1. Probability is a nice thing, but can I rely on it to blithely go out and
hire precisely X number of resources? My visibility is a bit limited - these
projects will take us through the spring, and I can't see the pipeline
thereafter. It's also possible that additional projects will come up that I
currently do not know about.

2. What goes in a staffing plan, anyway?

Thanks in advance,
Steve Schwarzman