RE: Writing a staffing plan

Subject: RE: Writing a staffing plan
From: Brent -dot- Jones -at- Level3 -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:09:27 -0600

Steven Schwarzman wrote on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 2:41 PM:

[deletia]

> 1. Probability is a nice thing, but can I rely on it to
> blithely go out and
> hire precisely X number of resources? My visibility is a bit
> limited - these
> projects will take us through the spring, and I can't see the pipeline
> thereafter. It's also possible that additional projects will
> come up that I
> currently do not know about.

of course not. it's always a craps game. make your best guess based on hard
data combined with your experience and instincts, set up good feedback loops
between you and the folks w/ good info on what's coming into the pipe, and
make sure everyone involved knows that project planning is an iterative
process, especially when you're trying to anticipate things that aren't real
yet.

> 2. What goes in a staffing plan, anyway?

check out _managing your documentation projects_ by JoAnn Hackos. it's
pretty useful, and has info and perspectives on questions of this sort. i
find it helpful when i make forays into doc group management. here's the URL
on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471590991/o/qid=972507736/sr=8-1/ref
=aps_sr_b_1_3/103-2073590-6943829

HTIH