Re: OT: IE 5 *required* for accessing a web site?!

Subject: Re: OT: IE 5 *required* for accessing a web site?!
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:23:19 -0700

John Wilcox <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com> wrote:

> I was taken aback by a message indicating that I needed to have
Internet
> Explorer 5.0 or better to access their site! No Netscape
> or other browser, no pre-IE5.

(*snip*)

> Has anyone else ever seen such a limitation?

Yes, I've seen that, and worse. Usually it's accomplished by a
JavaScript. One site I visited was set to refresh the page if you
weren't running IE4 on a PC (I was on a Mac using Netscape 4.0). I
got around this limitation by using iCab and configuring it to tell
web servers that it was IE4 on a PC. Worked fine.
:o)

I just tried DataLoom on my Mac -- worked fine with iCab, fine with
IE5, and no joy with Netscape 4.x (CyberDog is no longer installed).

In the case of DataLoom, it looks like they're doing something with
XML, so that might be it -- though I don't believe XML will work with
iCab.

> --
> Regards,
>
> John Wilcox - Senior Technical Writer, TCSI, Bothell, Washington

--gdw

Obligatory .sig:

"I am Andy Rooney of Borg: You ever wonder WHY resistance is futile?"