Technical Skills on Resume

Subject: Technical Skills on Resume
From: squarej -at- nationwide -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:30:28 -0400

Hello,

Here's another question on resumes.

Is there a current trend NOT to list software skills (Word, Frame, Power
Point, etc.) on your resume because so many writers know these tools? It
seems from the literature I have been reading that these skills are
becoming so commonplace that it would be better to save the space for
talking about your accomplishments on the job, rather than placing a
grocery list of tools on your resume.

Of course, if a job specifically required a software skill or you were
interested in becoming a tools expert, it may be helpful to note it either
on a cover letter or the resume.

But how about just for the general jobs ads that may not be all that
specific about what they are looking for in terms of the skills of their
writers?

Would they automatically turn you down if you didn't list these software
skills being that the entire universe (not just our field) is pushing
technical skills? Or would they be trend-savy enough to know that this is
the way things are going, if there indeed is a trend?

I would hope I wouldn't be turned down at least for an interview, if I
didn't slap "FrameMaker" somewhere in the resume. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Jennifer