RE: Technical Skills on Resume

Subject: RE: Technical Skills on Resume
From: "Ward, Curtis (DBS-CLT)" <curtis_ward -at- dbs-systems -dot- com>
To: "'squarej -at- nationwide -dot- com'" <squarej -at- nationwide -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:00:38 -0400

> Jennifer writes:
>

> Would they automatically turn you down if you didn't list these software
> skills being that the entire universe (not just our field) is pushing
> technical skills? Or would they be trend-savy enough to know that this
> is
> the way things are going, if there indeed is a trend?
>
> I would hope I wouldn't be turned down at least for an interview, if I
> didn't slap "FrameMaker" somewhere in the resume. What are your thoughts?
____________________
I currently do some interviewing and screening of applicant, and did
quite a bit at my former job with a consulting firm. While it may seem
archaic to list software skills, and can become cumbersome, I generally
think it is a good idea to do so, particularly if the requisition or ad
specifically request tool skills. Some tool skills are harder to come by
than others, so you might want to be selective.

On the other hand, I consider any good, experienced tech writer
trainable and wouldn't pass on a candidate because that person didn't have
experience specifically with Rational SoDA or Adobe FrameMaker (both of
which my shop uses). Previous experience with either could serve as a tie
breaker or help get the interview, however.

Curtis Ward
curtis_ward -at- dbs-systems -dot- com