Re: OT: IE 5 *required* for accessing a web site?!

Subject: Re: OT: IE 5 *required* for accessing a web site?!
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:54:39 -0500

> Besides...I'm sure that both of them feel that
> what they are doing is the right way..not just opposed to the other's
> way.

Um... sure, John... ;-)

> Besides...only a few elements DON'T WORK in one or the other..they
> just display "differently". OTOH, it depends on what you mean by
> "don't work".

That's true. I don't expect anything to look exactly the same in every
browser -- that's not what HTML does. My definition of "don't work" is
that they look unacceptable or don't appear at all.

Of course, conveniently, none of these things happened to me, but they
did happen to people I work with (no, really!) and the one that always
jumps out is the hover buttons. IE lets you make a nifty little button
that changes color when the mouse moves over it. It's as easy as can be.
And the button doesn't show up at all in older browsers. I don't mean the
hover function doesn't work, I mean even the original button doesn't show
up. That's not good. We also had problems with image maps that didn't
work in *any* browser except the one on the creator's machine. Even a
non-novice (me) couldn't fix them.

I've also judged student organization websites for the last two years,
and every site I've judged that "doesn't work" (grey boxes where buttons
are obviously supposed to be, graphics that extend off the page without
scrollbars, etc.) was created in FrontPage. You could say this is
operator error, and I'm sure it is to some extent, but in my experience
with these contests the operators who use Composer or even, heaven
forbid, Word's HTML conversion do not suffer from the same problems (in
fact, one of the best sites I ever judged was created in Word). Your
mileage will vary, of course.

> It's only the
> intermediate and expert webbers that 1) see the difference

If you're lucky. FP isn't evil, but it needs to be used by someone who
really knows what they're doing.

Tracy
who sometimes does and sometimes doesn't
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc