Re: Piracy (was RE: recommend a book on Framemaker)

Subject: Re: Piracy (was RE: recommend a book on Framemaker)
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:18:55 -0700

Peter Gold <peter -at- highsoft -dot- com> wrote:

(*snip*)

> As several others have noted, violating the requirements of the
software
> license is a serious legal matter, as well as one that affects the
ability
> of companies to stay in business.

If you want to talk about software pirating, take a trip to Hong Kong
sometime. When I was there ('97, I believe), we found several shops
with nothing but pirated software (and porno movies on video disk).
One CD was ~$20 US. Some of the things I remember seeing included
betas of Windows '98, anything Adobe produced, lots of Chinese fonts
and font tools, etc.

.... and that was just *one* shop.

I heard Bill Gates regards these folks customers as "future
Microsoft customers." That is, they'll have to upgrade sooner or
later.

The store owners, on the other hand .....

--gdw

P.S.:

Mac software? Sure. Just five CDs.

--gdw

> Regards,
>
> Peter

Obligatory .sig:

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered
as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to
us."
-- Western Union internal memo, 1876