venting)) Recruiting Story (was: question about recruiters (plus a little venting))

Subject: venting)) Recruiting Story (was: question about recruiters (plus a little venting))
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:19:00 -0700

"John Prince" <JPrince -at- e-talkcorp -dot- com> wrote:

> I have a question about recruiters that I hope some of you can
answer.

> I am thinking about switching positions. I put my resume on the
> monsterboard.com and am starting to think it was a BIG mistake.

(*snip*)

> My question: does anyone have some savvy ways to deal with
recruiters.

(*snip*)

Alas, I don't have an answer for you, but the answers you receieved
seem good enough ... but I wanted to share something weird that
happened to me recently.

I was looking at one of the big job boards and I found a position in
my area for a tech writer with Mac experience. They wanted
HyperCard, AppleScript (I'm no ninja in these, but I can get by), and
TCP/IP.

Since I wasn't registered with this particular job board, I called the
company myself, explained who I was and why I was calling.

The fellow that answered the phone told me something I found quite
puzzling (and which explains this note): He hadn't placed an ad. Not
only had he not placed an ad (his company was a strictly one-man
operation, and he was Da Man), but he hadn't heard of the job board
that I got his number from.

I apologized ... and gave him the URL for him to look at the listing
himself.

I guess the job board folk were trolling for resumes, or something.
Sure, it could be an honest mistake, but advertising a job requiring
Mac skills and "accidentally" using the "wrong number" of a Mac shop
-- the mind wobbles :o) at the odds of that happening --!

> Forgive my rant - but I do feel better. ;-)

Hey, you're right! So do I! :o) ... but it's still weird --! Has
this ever happened to anyone ...?

--gdw

> -jp

Obligatory .sig:

"You're entitled to your opinion. We're entitled to laugh at it :-)"
--R. Fovell
http://home.pacbell.net/rfovell