Re: Intermediate tool (Word > FrameMaker)

Subject: Re: Intermediate tool (Word > FrameMaker)
From: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:04:25 -0700

Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- arrakis -dot- es> wrote:

> I agree with a few of the posts that claim you are
> describing FrameMaker. You might look at Nissus, but it's
> kind or rare these days. It actually (as I recall) is a
> very powerful package, and very command oriented - sort of
> tuned to people who think more like emacs than Word. Or so
> I believe. But it has sort of fallen to the way-side.
> However, I think it might still exist. Not sure if they
> cover all platforms.

(*snip*)

Nisus Writer is still around. Check http://www.nisus.com.

It is Mac-only, though. Does HTML (not sure which version of HTML;
most likely 3.x), sports a Unix GREP-like Find, and was the first word
processor to support Asian languages (right-to-left, up-and-down).
Current version is 5.1x. They do offer a free version -- the compact
version (good for the Mac Classic and etc.) and 4.1.6 (good for
everything else).

It also (the current version, anyway) supports old (and abandoned)
Apple technologies like OpenDoc and Publish and Subscribe.

There are rumors of a MacOS X-compatible version in the works; perhaps
it will work with a Darwin-based system.

Note that the latest version is not compatible with MacLink Plus 11.x,
so translations will be a bit difficult.

--gdw

Obligatory .sig:

"He does the work of three men: Larry, Moe and Curly."