RE: Piracy (was RE: recommend a book on Framemaker)

Subject: RE: Piracy (was RE: recommend a book on Framemaker)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:32:20 -0700

Peter Gold <peter -at- highsoft -dot- com> wrote:

>As far as I know (I am a FrameMaker trainer, working for a FrameMaker
>reseller), the educational version is complete in every respect EXCEPT in
>its ability to upgrade to a new release. Instead of upgrading, you need to
>purchase the new version, if you are still a valid student/faculty person.
>However, the cost of the student version is about the same as the upgrade
>price for a full version.

Unless Adobe has changed its policy in the last year or so,
educational versions of its products aren't tracked separately.
Once you have a license of any sort, Adobe seems to upgrade
freely.

I assume that Adobe does this because many of its customers are
long-term. The educational discounts draw people in, and then the
company makes money off them on each upgrade.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"I know the bottom, she says. I know it with my great tap root.
It is what you fear.
I do not fear it: I have been there."
-Sylvia Plath, "Elm"