Follow Up - Research on gender & mentoring among technical communicators

Subject: Follow Up - Research on gender & mentoring among technical communicators
From: Elizabeth Wong Mark <lizwongmark -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:44:06 -0400

Appreciate the responses to my research project on mentoring and gender equity in the technical communication profession. Finally, here are responses to the surveys that served as the instrument for data gathering.

My research paper concerned the following:
* Is mentoring a factor in ensuring gender equity with regard to career advancement?
* Does gender have any impact on mentoring among technical communicators?

Elizabeth Wong Mark
Southern Polytechnic State
------------
9 mentors/8 mentees or 13 women/4 men

Years in the profession:
Mentors: 7-12 years, 3; more than 12 years, 6
Mentees: less than 3 years, 3; 3-6 years, 2; 7-12 years, 3

Membership in professional organizations:
13 of 17 respondents belong to a professional organization; 12 are STC members.

Level of education completed:
Mentors: post-secondary, 1; bachelor's degree, 4; master's degree, 3; doctoral degree, 1
Mentees: post-secondary, 3; bachelor's degree, 2; master's degree, 3

3 mentors actively sought to participate in mentoring and 4 mentors were asked to participate in a mentoring program.

Has your participation in mentoring benefited your career? 5 mentors and 8 (all) mentees responded Yes. Other mentors mentioned indirect but no direct benefits.

---------
(Scale: 1-absolutely disagree, 2-somewhat disagree, 3-neither agree/disagree, 4-somewhat agree, 5-absolutely agree)
---------

Gender was a variable in the selection process of my mentor relationship.
1-absolutely disagree: 11
3-neither agree/disagree: 2
4-somewhat agree: 2
5-absolutely agree: 2

The mentor matchup was successful.
5-absolutely agree: 17

Mentoring, either formal or informal, helps ensure gender equity with regard to career advancement.
1-absolutely disagree: 3
2-somewhat disagree: 1
3-neither agree/disagree: 8
4-somewhat agree: 3
5-absolutely agree: 2

The leaders of the technology area(s) of my company or my business consist mostly of males.
1-absolutely disagree: 1
2-somewhat disagree: 4
3-neither agree/disagree: 2
4-somewhat agree: 6
5-absolutely agree: 4

All other things being equal, I was/may have been bypassed for a promotion because of my gender.
1-absolutely disagree: 7
2-somewhat disagree: 3
3-neither agree/disagree: 3
4-somewhat agree: 3
5-absolutely agree: 1

The contribution of mentors is based more on their experience and gender is irrelevant in determining whether or not a mentor makes a contribution.
1-absolutely disagree: 1
2-somewhat disagree: 1
3-neither agree/disagree: 1
4-somewhat agree: 4