AT LAST: XML sites for technical writers

Subject: AT LAST: XML sites for technical writers
From: Ron Rhodes <RRhodes -at- fourthchannel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L Digest' (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, Technical Writers <tw -at- fourthchannel -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 08:44:07 -0400

Tech-whirlers;

Thank you for all the sites you have sent me. Sorry for the delay in
sending you the list of URLs, but after curing my computer the "love bug"
(yes, I was one of the nimrods who opened the attachment) and after getting
swamped at work, I have had precious little time.

Here is the list (I got about 20 suggestions, these are the top ten of those
20):

CNet Rocks! Here is a really good site for learning XML stuff. There is
probably a true XML start page some where else on CNET, but this one works
very well as an XML home page, too.
http://home.cnet.com/webbuilding/0-7267.html?tag=st.bl.3882.dir.7267

Also, http://www.builder.com/Programming/XMLToday/?tag=st.bl.7267.plbl;
XSL style sheet examples right on the page.
http://builder.cnet.com/Programming/XMLToday/ss03.html

The DocBook DTD Site http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ (Don't try XML
without it. Well you could, but it's still very helpful) This DTD is
quickly become the basis for most other XML DTDs in tech writing. (So what
the heck is a DTD? Go to the CNET sites above and find out.)

Get Free XML Tools (at least that what the site claims, I didn't investigate
thoroughly.)
http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/xmltools/

Using Xml In A Multi-Format Publishing Environment (by G. J. Nolan -
Turn-Key Systems Pty Ltd) http://www.turnkey.com.au/gnolanp.html

Using Content-Based Markup To Multi-Purpose Technical Documentation (by Tony
Stevens)
http://www.turnkey.com.au/mppaper.html

Want To Know Why Single-Sourcing Your Data Is So Critical?
http://www.turnkey.com.au/tspapers.html download this paper written by Tony
Stevens and see how he "recycled" one user manual and published it in many
different formats using XML.

XML Technical Resource Annex (by Bob's Internet Garden )
http://world.std.com/~bboeri/TRC/TRC-XML.htm , be sure to link the home
page, it's pretty good, too.

A cornucopia of DTDs http://www.dtd.com/

A Glossary of XML Terms
http://www.xmlmag.com/upload/free/features/xml/1999/01win99/glwin99/glwin99.
asp

Other really good Sites (but not necessarily meant for techwhirlers).
http://www.XML.com (really awesome resource)
http://www.xml101.com (XML for the non-propellers heads, like me!!!)
http://www.xml-zone.com/ (If you are a propeller head, this one's for you)
http://www.xml.com/axml/testaxml.htm (XML code with annotations, very
helpful)
http://www.builder.com/Authoring/Xml20/index.html (20 Q&As on XML)

I had other sites to evaluate, but I am burning company time as of --- now.
Back to work for me.

God bless you all.

Ron D. Rhodes
fourthchannel, inc.