RE: 1895 final exam and Tech Comm

Subject: RE: 1895 final exam and Tech Comm
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 09:01:33 EDT

I rise to the challenge 8^)

I was entertained by the questions, but I could have answered few of them,
even the arithmetic questions, because I don't know the terminology that
every eighth-grade Kansan apparently learned. For example:

If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts. per bu,
deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?

I can do the math (though I tend to screw up math 8^), but I need to know
what the terms lbs., cts., bu, and tare are. The problem also assumes and
requires that you know how many pounds (lbs.) of wheat there are in a bushel
(bu).

Similarly, we make assumptions about the knowledge of our readers, and if we
get it wrong, they can't proceed. "Click on OK" is probably pretty safe in
2000, but of course in 1895 it would mean nothing at all to Kansas farm boys,
for whom life was mostly having fun (a John Denver reference 8^).

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager ("Typo? What tpyo?")
Lightbridge, Inc., 67 South Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902 [voice]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong