Re: ethical consulting practices?

Subject: Re: ethical consulting practices?
From: David Demyan <dbdemyan -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:06:39 -0500

John Posada wrote:

> When it comes to my resume, I don't compromise. An
> agency is allowed to chop of my masthead (name,
> address, phone), but they do not, in any way, shape or
> form, touch the body of the resume. They must
> photocopy the resume onto their masthead. I've stated
> this with every agency (and I'm on my 6th or 7th
> contract) I've worked with and it has never been a
> deal breaker.
>
> I do this so I can walk into an interview and know
> that we're both reading from the same "sheet of music"

John, I couldn't agree more. In fact, we've been submitting
technical writers' resumes to clients for 14 years now and
we have never retyped a resume for any of them. For the
most part, the resumes we receive are very well written
and attractively formatted. It would be counter-productive
to start mashing them up just to make them consistent or
so they'll fit into some archiving system. I would
encourage all job applicants to ask their contract firms
about this issue and insist they use your original resume
for all of the excellent reasons already posted.

We *do* remove contact information from the top of resumes
and replace it with our company contact data. It is our
job to represent candidates and to get them the best
rate and terms we can. We can't do that if the client
attempts to contact the candidate directly.

Dave Demyan
Mendem Concord, Inc.
http://www.mendem.com