Re: in the beginning there was....

Subject: Re: in the beginning there was....
From: Marc Santacroce <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: Jack Cluth <jcluth -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 05:58:11 -0800

I find myself in need of some advice and guidance. My
situation is that I'm trying to break into technical
writing, but I do not have a technical background per se.
What I do have is writing skills and colleagues who have
told me I would be perfect in this field.

My dilemma is this: where to start? Where can I go to learn
the skills and tools I would need to be useful and
marketable? Essentially what I'm looking for is a foot in
the door.

My advice is to begin by going to an STC meeting. See http://www.stc.org. You'll met others in your same situation, as well as experience technical communicators.

I'd also see if your present company has a documentation department and meet with their writers. I am on contract at a large insurance company, and one of the "techies" first learned about technical writing as a careen option when I interviewed him as an SME. He expressed interest in learning more about TW, and his manager let him take an extension course at a local college.

Best wishes,

Marc

-
Marc A. Santacroce

Senior Technical Writer/President
ePubs, Inc.

epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net

"Everything has a fifty percent probability; either it's going to happen, or it's not."