RE: Word Figure Captions - a new question

Subject: RE: Word Figure Captions - a new question
From: "McClare, Scott" <smcclare -at- neptec -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:19:25 -0500

BlaineBachman -at- bia -dot- gov [mailto:BlaineBachman -at- bia -dot- gov] wanted to know:

> Funny this topic should come up. I have been ruminating over
> a different problem since yesterday.
>
> I've noticed that depending on what method is used to insert a graphic
> figure in a Word document, the menu that comes up when you
> right-click the mouse over the figure may or may not contain the option
> "Caption." I'm not
> sure what the "demarcation point" is, but I do know that this feature
works
> when I insert a graphic as a linked or embedded OLE object.

This actually came up on my first day here - it was driving my office-mate
crazy! Between the two of us, we figured it out.

Go into the Format Picture dialog box by right-clicking on the graphic and
choosing it from the pop-up menu, or by Format > Picture...

Click on the Position tab.

If the Float over Text option is checked, then you can drag the graphic
anywhere on the page you want - but you can't put a caption underneath it,
and the Caption item doesn't appear in the pop-up menu. If that option is
cleared, then the Caption item is available.

Hope that helps.

Re: my own caption problem, thanks much to the three or four people who made
suggestions. It's too late for that particular document - Bill Gates wins
this round - but I've half a mind to grab a copy of it again to try and fix
it, then let all the authors here who have had this problem know what the
solution was.

Take care,

Scott

--