folder/directory on Windows NT

Subject: folder/directory on Windows NT
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 13:21:18 -0000

Your opinions are solicited: Are Windows NT directories more properly
referred to as folders?

I'm currently working on a manual that refers to both UNIX directories and
Windows NT directories (or folders). There is no agreed-on house style for
this, so I'm looking to establish one.

There are two chapters in particular, "Installing TinWoodman on Windows NT"
and "Installing TinWoodman on UNIX". I must refer to directories in the UNIX
chapter: should I refer to directories or folders in the Windows NT chapter?

Thanks,

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.