RE: What department are you in?

Subject: RE: What department are you in?
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:20:57 -0000

>>Is there a particular department that tech writers get attached to when
they're the only writer in a company? I recently joined a wireless
telecom startup and found myself faced with the unexpected dilemma of
"where do I belong?" <<

Wherever you get most of your information. Sit next to your SMEs whenever
possible.

I joined a small company where I was the only technical writer, and
discovered that my predecessor had, for some unfathomable reason, opted to
be in the basement with Sales and Marketing (two nice people, mind you: we
had great crack in that daylightless, stuffy little hole, miles away from
any senior management and right next to the toilets and the kitchen): but
maybe she was a sociable vampire.

It took a while, but I eventually convinced my manager that I belonged in
the attic with the software engineers. The standard of conversation went
right down, and I could no longer plan on going for a week or two without
seeing senior management, but I could get the information I needed without
climbing four flights of stairs. Furthermore, I could see more than 3 inches
of sky.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.