Re: Team Building

Subject: Re: Team Building
From: Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:06:09 EST

> OK -- Here's another vote against team building fru-fru.

And here's yet another "no" vote. There are plenty of ways to build teams without sitting with a table full of strangers "sharing what you feel best about your physical features."

IMO, if you want to foster a team environment you must provide two things: an open-minded manager and a workplace that does what it can to bolster morale.

I've discovered that when I talk to people about their favorite jobs, they talk for a few minutes about the actual work, then inevitably wander off into a list of all the little morale-builders management gave them.

"They would give us pizza on days with bad weather so we didn't have to go out to lunch."

"If we had to work late, they'd have the security guards escort us to our cars."

"On Halloween the CEO would go around and put a piece of candy on everyone's desk."

Perhaps a better way of spending that team-building budget would be a few calls to Dominos.

Nea Dodson