RE: Writing samples, post-interview

Subject: RE: Writing samples, post-interview
From: Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:56:31 EST

There's a balance to be struck between having available samples and worrying about "shennanigans" with unattended portfolios. Write two or three sacrificial samples that are representative of your writing but not connected to any particular job you've had. (I personally like to write new manuals for shareware.)

Then toss 'em up on the web, preferably with some version of your resume. If people want samples, give them the URL and offer a full resume and portfolio at the face-to-face interview.

They get their samples, you show off your capabilities without worrying about losing control of anything sensitive, everyone's happy.

Nea Dodson
My apologies if this comes through more than one. I notice my reader is duplicating messages, so heaven knows what it's going to do to this one.