TOC in Word

Subject: TOC in Word
From: "Stewart, Brenda" <BStewart -at- outreachtech -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:26:10 -0400

I'm using Word 2000, and I would like the TOC to be formatted as follows:

Chapter #
Chapter Title.......................page #
Heading 1.....................page #
Heading 2...............page #

I can't seem to get the TOC1 style to totally eliminate the ...... or the
page # after the Chapter #. I've cleared all tabs in the TOC1 style. And,
when I apply the style, there's still a tab after the chapter #, which is
followed by the page number. It looks like this:

Chapter 1 >(tab) 1

However, when I update the TOC by highlighting the TOC contents and pressing
F9, the style goes back to this:

Chapter 1.............>(tab)..............1

How come the style formats I specified keep getting overwritten? After this
happens, the only way I have been able to clear the ......... is to reapply
the style, and the weird thing is, the style does not have a tab, so why is
it formatted with the tab? And, even if I reapoly the style, there's still
a tab after the chapter #, which is followed by the page number and it looks
like this (as shown above):

Chapter 1 >(tab) 1

So, I have only eliminated the ..... between the Chapter # and page number.

Any suggestions on how I can get the format I want?

Please email me directly as I receive the digest.

TIA!

Brenda Stewart <mailto:bstewart -at- outreachtech -dot- com>
Senior Technical Writer
OutReach Technologies
9101 Guilford Road, Columbia, MD 21046
410-724-3760