answers to Word questions about templates/auto numbering

Subject: answers to Word questions about templates/auto numbering
From: "Stewart, Brenda" <BStewart -at- outreachtech -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 16:51:33 -0400

Last week, I posted two questions about Word. One dealt with auto numbering
and developing a style for steps to restart correctly. Here's my question
paraphrased a bit:

I have created a style called Step1, which I would like to have a 1.
every time I use it. Not a problem, as I customized the number to be 1.
However, I also have a style called Step, which follows Step1. I want this
Step style to automatically start at 2 and continue numbering through until
the last step, and so, I have set it to start at 2. This is not a problem
for the first instance of the Step style. However, for all other instances,
rather than restarting at 2, the numbers pick up with the next number to
follow from the preceding Step style. Is there a way within the style to
make Word realize that this is a new procedure and that the line with the
Step style should be starting with 2 again?

Thanks to David Chinell, I was able to do this. Here's his answer:

I just wanted to suggest a strategy if you insist
on making the styles work the way you want them
to. The attached Word document (I hope) has the
style definitions you need. Here's the strategy...

Define the styles to share the SAME autonumber
sequence. To do this, I define both styles first,
then modify the first style to add the numbering
to it. Using the More display, assign level 1 of
the sequence to the Step 1 style and level 2 to
the Step N style.

The point here is to use the "Restart numbering
after higher list level" to restart each new step
2. Both styles must share the same number sequence
so that your step 2s can recognize each step 1 as
a "higher level".

The second trick is to define the level 1 (step 1)
Number style as "none", and type in the constant
"1." as a sort of prefix. That way each Step 1
seems to be restarting, when in fact the actual
number is never displayed.

Brenda Stewart <mailto:bstewart -at- outreachtech -dot- com>
Technical Writer
OutReach Technologies
9101 Guilford Road, Columbia, MD 21046
410-724-3760