RE: removing search engine links to dead web pages, how?

Subject: RE: removing search engine links to dead web pages, how?
From: Emru Townsend <etownsen -at- Softimage -dot- com>
To: "'techwrl'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:57:36 -0400

First answer:

To remove a dead page from Altavista, just re-enter it in the "Add a URL"
page. When it gets the dreaded 404, it'll remove the page from its index.
(Other search engines' methods may vary, but that's the one I remember.)

Second answer:

When I'm doing a little site rearranging, I provide redirect pages for any
files I erase. At the same time, I add a robots.txt file that will prevent
search engines from indexing those files. Then I go to Altavista (again,
just an example) and resubmit the URL.

Since redirect pages take up so little room, I only delete them after a
year, or when I'm desperate for space, whichever comes first.

Whichever answer you choose, I'd recommend doing a search for sites that
link to yours, and dropping them a line to know about any new or dead links.
It's courteous, and sometimes it opens up fruitful dialogue between people
or companies with common interests.

Emru Townsend, Information Developer of the New Millennium
Softimage, Inc.
etownsen -at- softimage -dot- com
Under construction: http://purpleplanetmedia.com
Recent musings: http://www.montreal.com/tech/1999/09/06enslave.html