removing search engine links to dead web pages, how?

Subject: removing search engine links to dead web pages, how?
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- OEE -dot- com>
To: "TechWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:48:33 -0400

This question is for tech writers who are also
webmasters (like me)--I know there are some
of you out there!

When I check various search engines to make
sure our web site is still found, sometimes I
see links to pages I have removed (they're
obsolete).

How do I update these search engines so they
don't display dead pages like this? Or is there
another way this should/could be handled? (like
maybe have a "dead" page that redirects viewer
to a live page)?

Anyone have any ideas? Or know where I could
go to find this specific bit of information?

Thanks in advance

Jessica N. Lange mailto:jlange -at- oee -dot- com
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers, Inc.