thoughts on international tech writing?

Subject: thoughts on international tech writing?
From: "Glenn Broadhead"<bhead -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:51:32 -0500

I am working on a proposal for a graduate degree (university level) in
international technical writing. As a longtime subscriber to TECHWR-L, I hope
that some of you may be able to find time to offer advice about such a program.

For example, what kinds of preparation were most beneficial to you in preparing
for work as a technical communicator in an international setting? What kinds of
preparation do you wish you had had? On the day-to-day level of a tech writer's
work, what problems emerge that are unique to international technical writing?
What solutions have you found to be helpful? Are the problems technical (e.g.,
translation) or cultural (e.g., unintentional impoliteness) or both? Are any
techniques (such as machine translation) or tools (such as software)
particularly useful or necessary in an international context? Do you have any
practical advice or ideas on matters such as localization?

If you would like to respond directly to me at bhead -at- okstate -dot- edu, I would be
happy to summarize the the results and post them on TECHWR-L.

I would very much appreciate hearing your comments and suggestions. Thank you
in advance for any help you can provide.

Glenn Broadhead <bhead -at- okstate -dot- edu>
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, OK 74078-0135
Phone: 405-744-6217
FAX: 405-744-6326