Re: Technical Writers or Information Developers?

Subject: Re: Technical Writers or Information Developers?
From: "Gord Deyo" <gdeyo -at- netcom -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:43:19 -0400

If being known as a professional writer is good enough for other writers in
other fields, why not for us? Are we better than them? Why are we the ones
always trying to define labels for ourselves? Maybe there are those who have
some kind of inferiority complex and try to compensate by dreaming up all
kinds of fancy titles that mean nothing.

Almost everyone knows what a Technical Writer is and does. I don't think
anyone knows (except for other tech writers, I suppose) what an Information
Designer is. Furthermore, I doubt any of these fancy titles are going to
help your career in any way. If anything, they could hinder it. I can see HR
putting the Information Designer resume in the shredder now because they are
looking for a Technical Writer.

People have a hard enough time knowing who we are and what we do. Let's not
further confuse them with pretentious terminology.

GD